Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"I'm not crazy, I'm fun!"

First, quote of the week. Santitos, the 5 year old son of our Elders Quorum President, The Urias family. His dad likes to say, in english, that he is crazy. So one day we asked Santitos if he was crazy, this is what we got. "I'm not crazy, I'm fun!"

The Urias family also fed us lunch on Sunday! We had tortas! After staying seated for most of the meal, I decided to get up to wash my hands. As I stood, my pant leg felt cold... I looked at the seat and it was wet! I was surprised! I didnt do anything!!! Then Hna Urias said she spilt melted butter on the seat earlier and I had sat in it! So after that we went back home so that I could take off my suit pants and clean up. My leg was soaked...

On the topic of food... The other day my companion, Elder Harper, was making some mashed potatoes from a bag. It required salt. We did not have salt. We texted other missionaries but a response did not come quickly. I sat down but got back up when I heard a scratching noise. It was Elder Harper trying to scrape the salt off his Saltine crackers!!! He did not get enough. We were able to get salt from a member that lives in our complex. She also gave us pepper, hot chocolate mix, and an oven pizza!

Investigator update!
Manuel and his cousin Lupe!
We had an amazing member present lesson with them! The member answered all of Lupe's questions perfectly!!! They are progressing well! Except, we had a lesson that fell through and they changed their phone number...

Jose Angel
He is doing well! We had a lesson with a the senior missionary couple. The senior couple were able to peak his interest to keep reading the scriptures! He and his less active wife, Maria, both came to church on Sunday!!!

Then, the best experience of the week!
Monica!
While we were out tracting, a door opened. It was a nice white lady named Monica. She was very kind! She said she is trying to figure out her own faith and so she wasnt very interested. However, she also said that she cuts hair! She works at a salon down the street and that, even though she is not a Mormon, she cuts Mormon Missionaries hair for free! She said we could come back! She said she would feed us lunch and cut our hair. We said that if we were we would have to share a small message, and she accepted. When we arrived, her son was there and they were both happy to see us. He is 10 and in 5th grade but he was very mature and well raised! He had 3 older brothers for the day! As we waited, we talked with him and he asked many questions about what we do. As Monica cut our hair, she asked questions and complimented us for what we do. I complimented her on being an amazing mother. She was very grateful. We planned on sharing a message about faith but I felt inspired to share a different message. We shared the one in Alma 56:47-48 about the mothers. We talked about what our mothers taught us, what the mothers of the Stripling warriors taught them, and how she has raised a very mature, awesome young man who will also, one day, say,

47 Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.
 48 And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it.

I was choked up as we shared the message. She walked us out to our car and started crying, waving, and blowing kisses as we drove away. I will never forget that experience. I can only imagine how she felt. I know she felt the Spirit. She must have felt like 3 angels were walking out her door.

That is it for this week!

Love,

Elder Dallin Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment