Thursday, August 4, 2016

"The Furnace of Affliction"

1 Nephi 20:10

"For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace
of affliction."

The Furnace and Refiner's Fire: This week felt like the Refiner's Fire
with the heat of the Furnace. Not only was it hot temperature wise,
but it was a tough week. Monday and Tuesday we tough with not many
lessons. However, on Tuesday we did have a really good lesson with
Jose Rodriguez. We taught about repentance and he loved it! He said
that we have to follow all the steps and be sincere, we can't just ask
God for forgiveness, say we repented, then do what ever we want. He
loved that this will help him grow and become prepared for baptism. On
Wednesday we had a good district meeting where we planned all the
parts of the church tour in preparation for Thursday night. On
Wednesday night we met with a less active member from the English
ward. He just bashed on us for an hour then we were late to an
appointment with Anel and Alfonso. When we got there Anel was already
asleep but Alfonso said they would definitely be there for the church
tour and that they were bringing a friend. Thursday morning was the
heat. We were outside serving at the food bank signing people up for
distribution. It was fun and I got darker but it was hot. Then later
we set up for the church tour that we were having to help our
investigators feel comfortable at church and take away the fear of the
unknown. No one showed up. I'm pretty sure I grew some gray hair from
being so anxious and going from on side of the building to the other
looking to see who would come. It was a tough experience. On Friday,
Anel and Alfonso fed us dinner. It was fried fish and it was really
good!


The Refiner: The Lord. With the whole church tour thing I had a
scripture running through my head. Psalms 46:10 "10 Be still, and
know that I am God." I know That we did what we could. It did not hurt
my testimony that no one came. It was a righteous desire to have the
church tour. It was a testimony that my timing is not necessarily the
Lord's timing. It was a testimony that we all have our agency to make
our own choices. Our investigators made their choice and they must be
responsible for their action. We are blessed and successful when we
use our agency to do all that we can.

Other Servants of The Master: President Passey is amazing. He is
further along in the refining process of this life than I am. He is
wise and experienced, but not old. I had my final interview with him
on Saturday. It was a very special experience. We talked about what I
have done on the mission, what I want to remember, what skills I have
learned, how I want to continue and develop as a disciple of Jesus
Christ, schooling, and employment. Then is was the conversation and
advice about friendship, dating, and marriage. He gave me some really
nice compliments and I am very grateful for his leadership and counsel
to help me become a better person.

Zechariah 13:9
"And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine
them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they
shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my
people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God."

I know that Jesus is the Christ, our Savior and Redeemer.

Love,
Elder Dallin Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment