Monday, April 25, 2016

Becoming Preach My Gospel Missionaries

This is such an amazing time to be a missionary! I love it here in Willcox! The work is just exploding here! I love the people that we are finding and teaching! Elder Crofts and I are doing amazing and we are working great together and we feel guided by the Spirit. We are also progressing as people and disciples of Jesus Christ. 

Adilene: Super cool girl! Quiet, but awesome! She is a young single mother that was a referral from a member family. She came to church last Sunday but not yesterday. We had a lesson with her on Monday and we talked about the Restoration and we set a baptismal date. She is kind of shy but she understands super well!


Inspired Leaders: My testimony of inspired leaders has be strengthened recently! I know President Passey is inspired to put me in Wilcox with Elder Crofts at this time. I know the leaders here in Willcox, especially the Winchester Branch, are inspired. The Branch leaders talked to us last week that they feel very strongly that we should focus on serving others as a way to find more people to teach. Also, as a way to just serve the people of Willcox. 

Orfilda and Juan: So read the section, "Inspired Leaders", before reading this. So on Tuesday after going to the Temple, we went to go finding. We found this little family and they were doing some chores so we asked if we could help but they said no but they let us in to share a message! We taught them a little lesson then went to an appointment. The guy wasn't there but as we were walking back to the truck we saw a lady working in her yard. We decided to walk up and help her out. She was really kind and we chatted with her as we worked in her yard. She then asked who we were and what we do. We shared a little message with her, her name is Orfilda, and we got a return appointment. So on Thursday we had an appointment with her and her husband Juan. It was amazing!!!! Probably the best lesson of my mission! We basically applied everything we have learned and it worked! The both felt the Spirit super strong and loved it! They basically asked to baptized! It was super good! When we shared Joseph Smith's experience of seeing God and Jesus Christ, we asked them how they felt. Orfilda spoke and said, "Indescribable. Its just so amazing that they would go in person to answer his prayer." We asked them what they would do when they found out these things were true, this is what they said, "Follow it. Live it. We would be baptized. If this is Christ's path, we will follow it." At the end of the lesson we asked Juan to pray. He was a little nervous then Orfilda said, "Just imagine that Heavenly Father is in front of you, what would you say?" She is basically a member already! She knows so much! We are becoming Preach My Gospel missionaries. 

Stitches Update: So I got cut and received stitches on April 5th. At the hospital they said I could get them out on April 12 but Dr. Bushman, a member here, said to wait until Saturday night. He also said that I could take out the stitches myself! It was fun! It reminded me of Anatomy class Senior year with Mrs. Smith! My hand healed very well and I will have an awesome scar! 

Goals and Faith: My testimony has also grown about goals and faith. I know that when we set goals, and we hold ourselves accountable, we can achieve anything! Faith precedes miracles. I have seen that since I have been here in Willcox. I feel that my faith has increased and we have been seeing miracles. It is also the faith of our companionship. 

Temple: On Tuesday we went to the Temple. It is a very sacred place where we get to learn and help others, those that have passed from this life, make eternal covenants through proxy. I was so happy to be able to take family names. It was special because they were the names that I found for the Pioneer Trek activity a few years ago. I also had a cool insight. The gospel is all about progression. If Adam and Eve didn't fall, if the didn't get cast out of the Garden of Eden, nothing would have progressed. In the Book of Mormon, in 2 Nephi 2:22 we learn, "And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end." When you read that, it helps us understand that it was necessary. To fulfill the gospel plan and the Plan of Salvation, there has to be progression, progression that could not be achieved unless they transgressed and fell. 

I hope you guys have a great week and finish the school year strong, for those of you in school. Be safe!

Love,
Elder Dallin Baker

Media:
1. Video: Stitches removal
2. Stitches removal



No comments:

Post a Comment